Security / Base Clearance
Joint Base Andrews is the base used by the President of the United States, therefore security is of utmost importance. Anyone entering the base will be subject to a security check and/or clearance. No exceptions will be made in this area.
A background check will be required of every non-military family accepted to enroll at Imagine Andrews PCS. (Military families will already have been subject to one as part of their military service requirements.) These background checks will be performed after the lottery has concluded, as part of the enrollment process requirements. Once your child has been admitted through the lottery, we will provide further details on the process of having a background check completed.
The following information is needed to perform background checks via the National Crime Information Center (NCIC):
- FULL NAME (including middle name)
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license number and state of issue
These background checks involve confirming the validity of the subject’s driver’s license and reviewing any recorded criminal history. We are not contacting friends/family to ask questions, and the information uncovered is used only to determine the subject’s fitness for access to a military installation (e.g., Joint Base Andrews). The information is destroyed immediately after a decision is made and cannot be accessed again by our team for at least 30 days.
Below are examples of criminal record information that will prevent someone having access to Joint Base Andrews:
- Any person convicted of a felony crime at any time.
- Any person convicted of a narcotics or drug charge in the past 3 years or twice in the past 5 years.
- Any person convicted of a weapons-related charge once in the past 3 years or twice in the past 10 years.
- Any person convicted of a theft or larceny charge in the past 12 months or twice in the past 5 years.
- Any person convicted of an assault charge in the past 12 months or twice in the past 5 years.
- Any person convicted of a hate crime or violent act in the past 12 months or twice in the past 5 years.
- Any person registered as a convicted sexual offender at anytime.
- Any person who is the subject of a current protection order (restraining order) and is considered armed and dangerous as flagged in the NCIC System.
- Any person who is the subject of a current protection order involving a resident or employee of Joint Base Andrews. Contact the issuing jurisdiction for details of the protected person’s employment/residence.
- Additional variations of crimes may be considered for denial of entry upon review of the Visitor Control Center (VCC) non-commissioned officer in charge (NCOIC) and approval of the S5 Superintendent or higher.
Additionally, any person convicted of DUI currently serving state suspension or any person convicted of two or more DUIs in the past 5 years will be issued a Non-Driver badge and may be denied access to Joint Base Andrews. Persons with extensive motor vehicle violations are subject to receiving a Non-Driver badge at the discretion of the VCC NCOIC. Any appeal to such a decision may be made through 11 SSPTF/DD or higher.