Weather Delays and School Closings
Our school may be faced with delayed openings or early dismissals due to inclement weather, emergency conditions, etc. This is a concern to us all. The decision to delay the opening of a school or close early is made as soon as possible by the Superintendent of Prince George’s County Public Schools (PGCPS). Imagine Andrews personnel are not responsible for the final decision to delay or close school.
Once a decision has been made, an announcement will be provided via radio and television stations within the Washington Metropolitan area before 6:30 a.m. Parents should tune in to these stations for the status of school closings, delayed openings, or early dismissal times. Dismissal may occur before inclement weather begins.
If you do not have access to radio or phone while at work, it would be advisable for you to make arrangements to be notified of an early dismissal by a neighbor or friend. You may also access this information several ways:
- You can access the Prince George’s County Public Schools web page at www.pgcps.org to find the information listed at the top of the homepage and on each individual school page.
- You can sign up to receive free emails and/or text alerts about closings, delayed openings, and early dismissals at the PGCPS Electronic Notification System page or via Prince George’s County Emergency Information system
- The PGCPS Twitter and Facebook accounts allow you to receive messages on your computer or mobile device. Follow on Twitter and/or “like” on Facebook to receive updates that will include emergency notifications and other school system news.
- After 6 a.m. you can access the school system’s Weather Line at (301) 952-6000, option 1.
- The school system’s cable television station, Comcast Channel 96 or Verizon FIOS Channel 38, will broadcast a “crawl” message.
DO NOT CALL THE SCHOOL FOR INFORMATION!
It is important to make plans in advance for your child’s care in case school is dismissed early. Make some decisions now, before the emergency, so that your children will know where they are to go if you are not home. Make certain that your child understands what to do. Feel free to add emergency contact names to your child’s Emergency Care Information form in the school office. If your plan changes during the year, please notify the school office and your child’s teacher immediately. Childcare providers should be made aware of any changes as well.
Do not call the school to have directions relayed on the day of an emergency. We are usually swamped with calls and very busy organizing the early dismissal. Also, many times our telephone lines are jammed or out of service and you cannot reach us with your messages. You will usually know before we do if the school is on a delayed opening or closing early. So please plan ahead and make sure your child knows the plan.
Procedures for Delayed Openings and Early Closings
1. Delayed Openings – Start of school will be either one or two hours later than the usual time.
If it is necessary to delay the opening of school because of inclement weather, dangerous road conditions, or any other emergency which might arise, an announcement will be broadcast over radio stations before 6:30 a.m., Channel 96 and other television stations, and posted on the school system’s web page.
- One-hour delay: School opens at 9:30am. Student arrival time – 9:15 am.
- Two-hour delay: School opens at 10:30am. Student arrival time – 10:15 am.
A delayed opening has no effect on dismissal time unless announced.
2. Early Closing/Dismissal (Due to Inclement Weather/Emergencies Conditions, etc.) — dismissal of school prior to the regular closing time.
- The announcement will be made prior to 10:15 a.m., if possible.
- All after-school activities and events will be cancelled, including athletic games and practices.
3. Announced Early Closing/Dismissal – Two hours. We will serve all students lunch before they are sent home.
For further information regarding PGCPS Procedures for delayed opening, early closing for inclement weather, emergencies and other problems, please visit: http://www1.pgcps.org/interior.aspx?id=9256 and http://www1.pgcps.org/interior.aspx?id=31368.